Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday Marvels: Nightmaiden Designs

Recently I had the chance to sit down with Diana of Nightmaiden on Artfire, Nightmaiden Designs on Facebook. We had a very nice chat here is what came out of it.

How did you come up with the name of your shop?
  I am a true night owl. I love the night and at the time that I started the shop, I was engaged so technically still a "maiden". So it kind of just fell into place.
What Kind of items do you sell?
  I sell jewelry (chainmaille and beaded) and photography.
What inspires you?
  I can pick up inspiration from anything around me. It can be a feeling I will have on that day or it can be from something I see in nature. I get a lot of inspiration from nature and it does drive my designs a lot.
I really like the items you make, how did you learn to make them?
  I used to make jewelry in high school just to play around with it so when I was planning my wedding, I decided to make the jewelry for my girls. It turned into a business and I kept learning, mostly from trial and error and some from online tutorials, like with my chainmaille.
Photography has been a natural for me. I just knew how ever since I was little. I honestly, do not remember exactly how I learned it since I was shooting and winning contests for my photography in elementary school.
You have so many gorgeous pieces do you have a favorite?   

I have to say that I love my "Flowers and Byzantine" necklace. It is so bright and I just love how the links are in it. I actually considered not listing it and keeping it for myself after I saw how it turned out. It was one of the first chainmaille pieces I made to list in my studio.
                                      
Do you have a special place you get to work on your items?
I do not have a full blown studio right now. So I work where ever I have space enough to spread out.


Why did you choose this type of craft?
It was something I already had a background in and I could pick it back up pretty quickly and it just took off. The photography has been in my blood since I was little. I used to win contests for my school. So it only seemed like a natural progression that I would pick that back up and share my love and passion with everyone else.


Is there anything else we should know about you?
I craft for charities a lot. I love to contribute and will make things for certain causes to help raise awareness. I am trying to get to the point that I will have enough to have special items for each month of awareness.
These are some of my favorite items that Diana has made




Get 15% off with code "AFFEATURE15" during Checkout

1 comment: